From the Year of the Unicorn to the Year of Living Coral...here's what to look out for in 2019!
This week's Sugarverse updates include the release of the 2019 Pantone Color of the Year, the reiteration of the Ban on Edible Glitter, another friendly reminder about the dangers of eating raw cookie dough, and predictions for the cake trends of 2019.
COLOR OF THE YEAR
Pantone blew up the internet when it announced that Living Coral would be the official color for 2019. If you missed the announcement on Instagram, here’s what they had to say…
“Introducing the Pantone Color of the Year 2019, PANTONE 16-1546 Living Coral - an animating and life-affirming coral hue with a golden undertone that energizes and enlivens with a softer edge. Sociable and spirited, the engaging nature of Living Coral welcomes and encourages lighthearted activity. Symbolizing our innate need for optimism and joyful pursuits, Living Coral embodies our desire for playful expression.”
And then ended with the Hashtag #COY2019
Since 2000, Pantone has announced a color that is supposed to embody the vibe for the upcoming 12 months. That being said...its apparent that Pantone feels that we are in need of a touch of optimism and joyful pursuits.
On the heels of this announcement by the color authority, Artisan Accents and the Florida Bakers Club decided to make it super easy for all of us by releasing the recipe for Living Coral which is...
- 2 parts - Hot Rod Red,
- 1 part - Pink-alicous, and
- 1 part - Sunshine Yellow.
So what does this mean for the Sugarverse?
- Stock up on the right base colors: This "color of the year" prediction could set the tone for the color selections of this year's brides and maybe even celebrations such as baby showers and birthday parties. So, it's not a bad idea to keep these base colors on stand by. You know...just in case a bride comes a callin' for Living Coral colored flowers for her Spring Wedding Cake.
- Make sure to use the right hashtags: If you haven't heard me say it yet, hashtags mean something in the social media world...and no they are not just for emphasis in a post like #BestFroYoEver! No! Hashtags help whatever social media app your using know what your picture is all about. That being said...as you get requests throughout the year of cakes and cupcakes that use Living Coral, make sure to use the appropriate hashtags so that your pictures can be included in the number as brides begin to build their Pinterest boards and save their favorite Wedding Inspiration posts on Instagram. Here are a few Living Coral hashtags that may come in hand this year...
THE BAN ON GLITTER
The FDA (U.S. Food and Drug Administration) recently issued another warning reminding us that “some decorative glitters and dusts promoted for use on foods may, in fact, contain materials that should not be eaten.” So, yeah...this is not really news to those who've been in the sweets industry for at least two years or so, but for some and especially for consumers this is brand new information!
Some of these "non-toxic" products may be labeled as luster dust, disco dust, twinkle dust, sparkle dust, highlighter, shimmer powder, pearl dust, or petal dust and can be found both in craft stores, bake supply stores and with online vendors. Although some of these items can be safe to consume, others are not, especially if “the label simply says ‘non-toxic’ or ‘for decorative purposes only’ and does not include an ingredients list.”
This year, the FDA went a step further and released a video to drive the point home.
According to the FDA Website, here area a few tips on how to tell what glitter products are edible and non-edible:
- Check the label of any decorative product you’re considering for use in foods. Companies that make edible glitters and dusts are required by law to include a list of ingredients on the label.
- Common ingredients in edible glitter or dust include sugar, acacia (gum arabic), maltodextrin, cornstarch, and color additives specifically approved for food use, including mica-based pearlescent pigments and FD&C colors such as FD&C Blue No. 1.
- Most edible glitters and dusts also state “edible” on the label. If the label simply says “non-toxic” or “for decorative purposes only” and does not include an ingredients list, you should not use the product directly on foods.
- If you choose to decorate a food item with decorations that are not edible, be sure to remove the decorations before serving and eating the food.
SAYING NO TO THE DOUGH
Speaking of things that we can & can’t do that we’ve known all along but frankly hasn't stopped us...LOL! The CDC is using the #1 baking time of the year to remind us all that we shouldn’t eat raw cookie dough and warning us to “Say No to the Raw Dough.”
Now…we’ve known this forever…and I’m sure there is validity to it…BUT…I’m still a huge fan of cookie dough, and I (for one) am glad that someone invented Gourmet Cookie Dough because I don't know how I could survive without a spoonful of dough every now and then.
If you're like me, and you need a little dough fix every now and then, there are a few options. Either you can support companies such as Cookie Dough Cafe or Edoughble which make gourmet cookie dough which is safe for consumption...or you can make your own at home using heat treated flour. Don't worry...if your local market doesn't sell heat treated flour, you can make your own using the techniques discussed in this video by Beth Somers.
UNICORN CAKE WAS THE #1 GOOGLE SEARCH IN 2018
Google released it’s top-trending searches of 2018, an annual report that details what we’ve all been Googling throughout these past 12 months. No big surprise...at least to the Sugarverse is that the Unicorn Cake came in at the number one spot in the Food category. Let's face it the Unicorn Cake has been a trend for the past two years now, and I know more than a handful of Sweet Peeps who are just ready to move on. However, it seems like a few consumers have yet to get the memo...and that's ok too!
TREND PREDICTIONS: WHAT WILL BE THE "UNICORN CAKE" OF 2019?
Of course, very few people can actually predict the future...but if you had to guess...what do you think will be the new trend in cakes in 2019? Honestly, my prediction for 2019 is that it will be the year of the Llama, Fox or some other adorable Woodland Creature. However, it could likely be some spinoff of the Unicorn or maybe even something completely off the wall like a pattern. Remember when chevron was EVERYWHERE!?!? Hmmm...so I guess only time will tell what 2019 will bring.
What do you think? Drop your predictions in the comments below and let's revisit them same time next year and see how it all worked out. ;) Deal?
Interested in seeing the full list? Check it out below.
About Sugarverse by Sweet Fest
Sugarverse is the Official Blog of Sweet Fest® where Bakers, Cakers, Sweet Makers and Culinary Industry professionals can stay up-to-date on the latest cake trends, regulations, and other baking news! The Sugarverse was created to share National & International news, updates and trends that effect the Cake World, the Sweet Community aka the Sugarverse. Subscribe to our newsletter or follow on social media to stay up-to-date on Breaking, Baking & Caking News!
Need help/advice in your Sweet Business?
Schedule a Coaching Session.
About the AuthorCydni N. Mitchell (aka Cyd) is the bakery and Sweet Business Coach behind Sweet Fest®. Based in Atlanta, GA, Sweet Fest® is an online company that supports the business needs of the Sweet Community in the areas of professional development, marketing and branding. By trade, Cyd is an accountant & financial analyst with a Masters from the Kenan-Flagler Business School at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Read more.